Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Meal Planning + Sweet & Sour Pork

I have started venturing into meal planning. Basically, you plan your meals ahead of time before you go shopping, etc. This has actually helped me eat a lot healthier, try new recipes, and I have saved a lot of money while grocery shopping. There are entire blogs dedicated to this sort of thing. I wanted to share with you guys a couple of recipes I have tried so far that turned out to be quite delicious. Today's recipe will be the sweet and sour pork we tried a couple weeks ago. 

Sweet & Sour Pork
The best way I could describe this is it looks like the kind you seen on buffets. Tastes better though, in my opinion. I found this recipe in a fundraiser recipe book my mom gave to me. It is called "...And a Spoon Full of Love - Steele Elementary School 1985-1986" Due to the writing inside the front cover, it was obviously a gift. 

This is what I ended up with: 


Yum, right? 

If you'd like to try it, these are the necessary ingredients (I doubled the recipe - so basically these are the necessary ingredients per pound of pork)

Ingredients
1 lb. boneless lean pork, cut into small pieces
1 egg
2 Tbsp. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
2 1/2 Tbsp. soy sauce
1/4 cup vinegar
Chinese noodles or cooked rice - we did noodles, but I think rice might be better
3 Tbsp. oil
2 green peppers 
1/2 cup pineapple chunks
2 1/2 Tbsp. cornstarch
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup pineapple juice (we used the juice from the can of pineapple chunks)

Recipe
I am rewording some of this from the book to make it less confusing
1. Beat together the egg, flour, salt and pepper. 
2. Coat the pork pieces in this mixture and brown in the oil.
3. Reduce heat, cover and cook the pork slowly for 20-30 minutes.
4. Cut up the peppers, then boil in water for 1 minute and drain them. 
5. Add the peppers and pineapple to the pork, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.
6. Stir together the cornstarch, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, and pineapple juice. Cook this mixture until it becomes think and 'clear' (when clear it will very sticky and a dark brown color)
7. Poor this mixture onto the pork, stir and let simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
8. Serve over rice or noodles.

This pork recipe smells amazing and is really delicious! I hope you enjoy it :) 

1 comment:

  1. I am interested to see what the book looked like. Please share :)

    ReplyDelete